Wednesday, March 14, 2012

Happy Birthday Ethel!

Today would have been Ethel's 100th birthday.  

When I was a kid, I remember watching the Today show at her house seeing Al Roker announce birthdays of those over 100.  Their picture came up on a bottle of jam.  Anyone remember that?  I remember thinking that one day, I would see Ethel on there.  Well, she passed away about 4 months too soon.  But I am glad she went.  That ol' gal was ready to shed that old body and have her 100th party in heaven.  The picture below was taken at her 99th birthday party.  

Ethel, I am so lucky to have known and I miss you so much!
I had the honor of speaking at Ethel's memorial service.  Below is what I said:

Ethel was the most amazing person I have ever met. 
Ethel had an open mind, an open heart and welcomed and accepted everyone she met, no matter how they looked or what they believed.  I truly believe that she loved and cared for every single person that she ever met.  Her kindness left a lasting impression on all of those around her.  Even those that met her only once or twice remember her and her kind spirit.

Ethel led a simple life – possessions meant very little to her.  She was happy with what she had and didn’t yearn for any material things.  What meant the most to Ethel was relationships and people – all of us.  She had 99 years of memories that she was happy to share with anyone willing to listen.  She used to tell me stories of the Redmond boys, of her aunts, Granny, living in California, going to the senior center and watching the children in the church nursery.  She was happiest when she was around people.  She loved the St. Patrick’s Day Parade when her house was full of people, laughter and children.

Children – Ethel LOVED children.  Her whole face lit up when she was around them.  She loved to get down on the floor and play.  Ethel would rather be at the kids table than with the adults.  She was always ready with a craft or a game.  I remember staying at her house in the summer times.  She was always ready with an activity.  She also had to keep us kids in line and we all knew exactly where the yardstick was.  She also learned one not so effective discipline method.  If you tie a kid up with panty hose, they can get out.  I have no clue why she tied him up (and thinking about it now, it probably wasn't the best choice) but he got out.  But one discipline method that she reminded me year after year that worked.  One time she saw Ely spit.  She went outside and picked a pepper off of the bush and put it in his mouth.  She claims that he never spit again after that - and I can't recall ever seeing Ely spit again.
 
Ethel was faithful.  She loved God and I believe she was Christ-like.  I believe that God send us Ethel as an example of how He wants us to live.  Ethel believed that Sunday’s were God’s day and were a time to rest – she didn’t wear pants or sew on Sundays!  She loved going to church and when she wasn’t able to go to church she would watch the Catholic Mass on TV.

Ethel was playful, cheerful, vivacious, spunky and full of life.  I loved watching her do the chicken dance or collecting cabbages at a parade.  She was comfortable anywhere she was and with anyone.  She was adaptable and went with the flow; the kind of person that you just wanted to be around.  She was patient, warm, kind, gentle and caring.  You know, I don’t think I ever heard her talk bad about anyone.  OK, I lied, I didn't want to say this at her memorial service, but I did hear her talk bad about someone...her sister, Edith.  That woman drove Ethel bonkers.  One time I heard Ethel say, "One of these days I'm gonna kick her ass!"  I kid you not.  She said it!  And it was hilarious.

Ethel was giving and selfless.  One time I went to visit Ethel and she had a few roses in a vase on the table.  I asked her about them and she told me that at church that day, Mother’s Day, she was given a dozen roses since she was the oldest one at the church.  I just had to ask….  Ethel, where are the rest of the roses?  It seems that after church, Ethel made her rounds to visit all of her “old” friends, as she always did.  She told me, “Well, after church I went to visit my friend at the nursing home and I gave her two, then I went to visit another friend and gave her a few.  After that I stopped at my sister Miriam’s house and gave her a few.  Then I went next door to visit Ms. Conner and gave her a few.   Then I brought these two home and put them in the vase.  That was Ethel – she always thought of others before herself and as happy as she was to receive the roses, she was even happier to share that joy with her friends.

I hope that each of you have learned something from Ethel.  I hope that her love has touched your heart and her generosity is an example to all of us.  That her patience, acceptance and faithfulness are an inspiration to us all.  I know I have learned from her.

Just yesterday morning, I was about to cook breakfast.  My husband was at work and it was just me with our 3 and 1 year old boys.  Eamon, my oldest, asked if he could help and I immediately found myself saying no – I don’t have time or the patience right now to have him “help” me.  But then I thought again – I thought about Ethel letting us pull a chair up to the stove in her kitchen letting us scramble eggs, bake a cake, peel an apple.….and I told him, pull up a chair! 

Ethel lives on in each of us.  We are the lucky ones, the ones that received Ethel’s love.  That witnessed her selflessness.  That laughed with her, danced with her.  Ethel’s love touched us all, and it lives on in our hearts.  I have no doubt in my mind that Ethel is in Heaven – she has shed that old body and is dancing with a child, running with the horses and visiting all of her friends.



2 comments:

Rae said...

Wonderfully said.

Trisha said...

Amy, that is a lovely eulogy.